Re: [TenTec] PTO Backlash help needed

To: wa3fiy@radioadv.com, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] PTO Backlash help needed
From: Tom NØJMY <n0jmy@hayseedhamfest.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 09:51:09 -0500
I'm very leery about celebrating too soon, so with much knocking on
wood, I'm just going to report that the felt solution has favorably
impressed me thus far.

I doubled over a piece of felt, cut it out, put a hole in it, and then
slipped it over the tuning shaft of the one Century 21 which I have not
yet disassembled.  Basically, I just stuffed it down in the hole in the
front escutcheon, up against the lock washer that holds the dial on.  It
does not turn with either the knob or the inner shaft.

Oddly enough, after turning the knob CCW and releasing it, it still
visibly jumps back CW, though just a smidgen.  However, listening to
c.w. sigs, I am unable to tell any change in frequency.  Holding  on the
the knob for a second after stopping seems to eliminate the knob
backlash completely.  Incidentally, this is near the full CCW of travel,
where there was the most backlash before.

Fixes this simple always scare me, so I'm not quite ready to declare
victory yet.  If, however, this unit continues to behave this way, I
would say the backlash, even to someone not use to the Century 21's
little quirks, is minimal enough as to be more than satisfactory.

I still have three more to go, though, so wish me luck!

73,
Tom NØJMY .   .

Hayseed Hamfest Co. - Multi-section Can Capacitors
for vintage Heathkit, Drake, Halli, Hammy, more...
www.hayseedhamfest.com