Re: [TenTec] Two Century 21 problems

To: <n0jmy@hayseedhamfest.com>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Two Century 21 problems
From: "Stephen Cannon" <sugar_bears_home@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 19:33:30 -0600
Mike's idea will work.  It is a technique most all technicians should know.
When one is out in the field and needs to get the unit in service NOW and
the proper repair tools / materials are not available then we use it.  If we
are in the shop, radio shack, or garage with time to acquire the proper
tools / materials, then a decent technician would repair it in a more
permanent manner.  We would also make a note to replace the 'field repair'
with a permanent and proper repair as soon as practical.

Loctite makes a product called Blue Max. It is specifically designed for
this type of problem (worn out or stripped threads).  This is a quick and
simple fix (also it is reasonably permanent).

If you require more substantial threads than this product provides (I
believe Blue Max is perfect and will be strong enough for this job), than
the problem is permanently repaired by drilling, tapping and installing a
keensert or similar product.  A keensert is like a bushing with threads on
both the inside and outside; you will want to ensure that the inner threads
match the threads of the setscrew.  Helicoil also makes a similar
bushing-like thread insert, in addition to their 'coils'.

Keep in mind that the above solutions only fix the symptoms not the problem.
After the damage is repaired you need to fix the problem.  To fix the
problem: DO NOT over-tighten the setscrew.  The threads of the setscrew are
tiny, the threaded material weak and neither can withstand much torque.

Stephen AD7TD