Re: [TenTec] Omni VI plus receiver problem

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI plus receiver problem
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 08:28:05 -0600
On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 19:06 -0400, Jim Goudie wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is the Pass-band tuning operating normally?
>
> I had some flaky problems that were caused by dirty connectors
> between boards & controls (display and PBT in particular).  Someone
> on the list recommended "exercising" all the connectors.  So, I did
> that and tried to clean the contacts, at the same time.  It takes
> some patience and a gentle touch, I think...  but a general clean up
> of the connectors may be worth a try... even as preventive
> maintenance if they haven't been done in a while.
>
> All that is imho. :-)
>
> Jim, AF3Z

Contact and switch cleaning is MUCH more effective with a contact
cleaner like DeoxIT from Cramolin than by mere abrasion. It just takes a
fraction of a drop per contact and its not a good idea to soak the
insulators by spraying it. One good place to buy it is Antique
Electronic Supply.

For gold contacts, I've had good results with a product called Gold
Guard but its harder to find than DeoxIT.

73, Jerry, K0CQ