Re: [TenTec] [TEN TEC] Centaur/ Centurion/Orion relays

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [TEN TEC] Centaur/ Centurion/Orion relays
From: "pfizenmayer" <pfizenmayer2@q.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 08:52:51 -0700
There is apparently a LARGE difference in relays and mountings - My
Centurion is quieter than the relay in my Orion II. I replaced the relay in
my original Orion and made it a LOT quieter - no amount of foam /rubber etc
etc seemed to make any difference.Some suggest flexible leads to keep the
board from being a sounding board.  Also either I get more touchy , or the
Orion relay gets louder after a long contest - I hear it annoyingly loud
after a long contest weekend even with MDR-V6 phones on. !  The noise is on
break - its dead quiet on make. I think part of the siisue is the Orion reed
is a higher pitched noise - the Centurion is much lower pitched but still
hard to hear over the Orion.

I have a friend with an OII that you can barely hear the relay with your ear
right on the case .

I contacted the relay supplier and asked if they made a quieter version with
same ratings but they said no - and it was like pulling teeth to even get
them to admit they made the relay for TT ! Its a B1A05Y400DIC series 10
www.reed-relays.com/836422.html . B = Black Beauty , 1A = SPST , 05 =
voltage , Y= lead/coil config , 400 = coil resistance.

If the Centaur uses the same relay assy as the Centurion , I think the whole
relay board assy is less than $30 when I asked a few months ago - I was
going to buy a spare. Could be the rubber isolation mounts are just old and
hard on the Centaur.

73 hank K7HP