Re: [TenTec] Omni VI problems

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI problems
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:05:52 -0600
On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 09:00 -0400, David & Chris Drake wrote:
> Thanks Ron,
> Yes, unhooking the serial cable made no difference.  When I found out there
> was a hum in my audio, I methodically began unhooking things in the shack
> one by one.  First was the serial cable.  I even went to the breaker panel
> and shut down the rest of the house !!.  Finally unhooked the 961 and
> substituted the astron RS 35.  Same thing.  So it seems to be the radio.
> David

Lift the lid. Tighten all the board mounting screws. Check the
microphone cable. See if it happens with the microphone disconnected.
Just yesterday someone noted they found their hum came from a broken
braid on the microphone cable. It might be that the act of connecting
the RS-232 cable moved a loose board and broke a ground connection. Look
for that.

73, Jerry, K0CQ