Re: [TenTec] Argonaut 509 Bias Mod

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut 509 Bias Mod
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 14:21:30 -0500
Byron,
I "think" the pop on strong stations on the 509 is audio derived AGC.
As I recall, and I am going from uncertain memory, rigs with audio
derived AGC have to use a large capacitor which charges up.  The pop is
an artifact of that design.  It "may" improve if the capacitors are
updated to fresh ones.  Look for an electrolytic typically.  This is a
problem not only on the 509 but also on many simple kit QRP rigs today
with that type of AGC.  A work around might be to add an RF attenuator
to cut down the signal level of extremely strong stations.

Stuart
K5KVH