[TenTec] Orion Encoder - An author's Rant

To: Ten-Tec Reflector <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Encoder - An author's Rant
From: Rick W <ve7tk@yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:00:47 -0700 (PDT)
I decided to check out the file referenced in the current discussion.
(http://www.w4ish.net/Manuals/pdf/Orion%20RIT%20Encoder%20Replacement.pdf)I
was very surprised to find it is the document I assembled, with
permission from John KE5C, in 2006.  (John provided the photos and description
and I assembled it into a single document with a bit of editing.)   I checked
the Properties >>
Description and there's my name as the author.

I have no problem
with others linking to my site or using articles I've written or
assembled.  Taking these and posting them to their own site happens.
It kind of defeats the purpose of the internet but it happens.  Web
authors put a lot of work into their sites and lifting original
documents without permission or acknowledgment doesn't seem quite right.

Recently I've found links to my Orion 9MHz mod all over
the web and, I guess, I should be flattered.  However, in this
particular case (Orion Encoder) it's a 3rd party's photos and
documentation that have been lifted and I just hope that W4ISH at least
asked John, KE5C, if he'd mind.

In an attempt to show the
document source I now put a footer on each page of ALL PDF documents on
my site that I have originated.  It kind of clutters up the document
but at least now if it is relocated some reference to the origin
remains.

[End of Rant]

73,

Rick