Re: [TenTec] Orion Encoder - An author's Rant

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Encoder - An author's Rant
From: Martin Ewing <martin.s.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:20:18 -0400
Rick - You're right that this shouldn't happen without the permission
of the author.  On the other hand, we all probably know that the
Internet is not a great respecter of copyrights.  Alas, hams often are
not, either.

At minimum, we need to make it clear what we (as authors) want people
to do or not do.  I.e., not to copy for redistribution.  And we can
put a copyright notice in the file or give an explicit Creative
Commons license - http://creativecommons.org/.

[BTW, I note that Ten-Tec does not claim copyright on my 2004 Orion
manual, or on firmware updates.  No licensing terms, either.  That's
unusual and perhaps naive these days.]

There are technical ways to make it more difficult for people to
download and republish your material.  Put it into a set of html
pages, for example, rather than a single .doc or .pdf file. You can
take legal action. There's no perfect answer.

73 Martin AA6E