Re: [TenTec] Century 21

To: <geraldj@weather.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Century 21
From: "Bill Miner" <wg6h@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 06:52:50 -0800
Jerry,

The C-21 is nothing like the Corsair II.   Ten-Tec calls the C-21 a "double
direct conversion" receiver.

The input stage has a diode ring mixer that has an antenna RF input and a
second input from the crystal Mixer board.  The resulting IF output is a
broadband 5.0 to 5.5 Mhz  (NOT 9 Mhz) signal.  The detector board has
another diode ring mixer with the broadband IF as one input and the 5.0 to
5.5 Mhz PTO signal as the second input with resulting DSB audio output going
to an audio filter.  There is NO AGC!

I have been told that some people have done a 30 meter conversion to the
C-21 but I would not try this.

The Century 22 does include the 30 Mhz band but I believe it uses a
different PTO frequency.

73, Bill - K6WLM