Re: [TenTec] Any suggestions?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Any suggestions?
From: Peter Inskeep <pinskeep@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:55:47 -0700 (PDT)
John,

There comes along every once in a while, and not nearly often enough, a rig
that surpasses expectations by wide margins.  To me, the Omni VI is such a rig.
 In my view it is worth far more, in terms of performance, than you would get
by selling it.  I have an Omni VI Plus, and I purchased a K3 about a year ago.
Both are great radios.

The Omni VI is elegant in its simplicity of operation and suitability to
working CW.  With a good compliment of filters one can work in close to big
pileups in a contest in a way that many even brand new rigs cannot match.  As
someone once said, "They don't make them like that anymore."

The K3, on the other hand, is a modern marvel.  It, too, is elegant in its
simplicity, at least on the surface.  Underneath, however, there are many, many
more things to tweak and fiddle with than on the Omni VI.  My main rig is the
K3, but I keep the Omni VI at the ready and use it often, and often in
contests, although I am not much of a contester.

My wife beat me over the head repeatedly before I finally relented and let her
buy me the K3 for my birthday.  It was the big 70 so she just had to buy me
something significant.  I finally relented and selected the K3.  I've been very
happy with it, but I imagine I would also have been very happy just soldiering
on with my Omni VI for years to come.

I don't know anything about your other rigs, so I can't comment on the wisdom
of keeping or selling them.  I do think, however, that down the road a few
years from now, you will be kicking yourself in the shins if you choose to sell
the Omni VI.  Surely there must be a closet somewhere that you can store it for
the time being.  You will also enjoy the K3, to be sure.

Pete, no2d.

Just one guy's opinion, slanted toward the Ten-Tec because I have been using
Ten-Tec gear for 30 years or more, starting with the Delta 580, which I also
still have, and still use on occasion.  If you can manage it, keep the Omni VI
and order the K3.  You will enjoy both of them