Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec used/demo gear list October 9, 2009

To: "sales@tentec.com" <sales@tentec.com>, "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec used/demo gear list October 9, 2009
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 11:57:06 -0700
On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 14:04:54 -0400, Ten-Tec Amateur Radio Sales wrote:

>"Closet Kilowatt" - consists of Omni-VI Plus transceiver, 420 Hercules
>II amplifier, 253 automatic antenna tuner

It is highly deceptive to call this a "Closet Kilowatt" in today's market.
The Hercules II is rated for about 500W output. Back in the 70's, FCC
Rules defined ham power levels on the basis of Input Power, and both
Hercules models (the original 444 and second generation 420) were rated
for about 1kW Input CW power (70-80A at 13.8V for the Herc II). My Herc I
puts out about 700W, but I don't run it above about 500W because
replacement output devices are not available. Both are excellent amps, but
a "Kilowatt" they are not.

73,

Jim K9YC