Re: [TenTec] WTB OMNI VI Plus for new Ham

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] WTB OMNI VI Plus for new Ham
From: wa3fiy@radioadv.com
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 14:24:02 -0400
Actually, the MRF458 used in many of the Ten Tec Rigs thru the Omni VI, is
rated for 80 watts output each making it 160 watts total.  That makes a
pretty robust final when run at 100 watts out.  HOWEVER, the max current,
voltage and dissipation listed on the data sheet are what determine the
power limits of the transistor, not the power output listed.

As I recall, the MRF458 is rated for operation with infinite VSWR.  Again, the
current, voltage and dissipation establish the limits.

In any event, over more than 20 years of abusing several Ten Tec
transceivers using the MRF458's I have never lost one.  I do mean abusing.
I use a TT transceiver in the company lab to produce RF power for
experiments on various products and have run them under unimaginable
conditions there.  I am not recommenting this kind of abuse.  Just stating
what I have observed here.  YMMV

Ten Tec is using a different transistor in it's later rigs and I do not know
the
specs on those.

I think the original question was about the Omni VI as a starter rig.  I cannot
see any good reason why not.  Set it up according to the manual to start.
Get on the air and have a good time.  It has lots of opportunity to develop
ones operating skills as time goes on and interest builds regarding the finer
points of operating a top quality radio.

Have at it!

73,

-Lee-

WA3FIY