Re: [TenTec] WTB OMNI VI Plus for new Ham

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] WTB OMNI VI Plus for new Ham
From: geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 22:22:59 +0200
On Oct 15, 2009, at 10:13 PM, Bill Mellema wrote:

> I am looking for a clean Omni VI Plus for a new ham in the area. I
> have
> steered him away from the Jupiter and to go with the Omni VI..

If he has no real radio experience  (not an SWL, CB'er, etc), then
IMHO he may be better off with something simpler and less
intimidating. My personal favorite is the 544 (Triton IV digital), but
there are loads of Trintons (I,II,IV and IV digital) and early Omni's
which can be had cheaply, are simple to use and don't require a lot of
training for first time users.

They all have good audio for SSB, and full QSK for CW.

I think the Omni's had better CW filtering, so if he wants to operate
CW he may appreciate them over the Tritons. On the other hand being
able to pull the one signal you want from a crowded band by ear is a
skill well worth learning.

If he tires of the rig, or ham radio in general, he can sell it for
about what he paid for it.

Manuals for some of those rigs can be downloaded for free from Ten-Tec.

Geoff.
--
geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson@gmail.com