Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ the best and other great radios

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ the best and other great radios
From: Carter <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:46:35 -0500
John Peters wrote:
>  Hi there, I wish to request TenTec to reinstate the logic board for
>  the   OMNI VI+ I wish to keep this radio going for a long time
>  I'm now 81 and I hope to use this radio for quite some time.... I
>  don't need any repair at the moment, but is NOT nice to hear that
>  they don't stock the part     Any body else????

Interesting idea....and I agree that the Omni VI is MUCH too nice of a
radio to let die for lack of parts.

As the logic board seems to be such a key item, I wonder what it would
take to produce a new one? Presumably, the art work for the board is
done, then actually producing the board should not be too big a deal and
finally just stuff it with parts (BEFORE the parts turn into
"Unobtainium").   :-)

Or as a more economical solution,  just stock the critical ICs
(presuming they have not already become 'manufacture discontinued').

If all of the above fails and the ICs are not -readily- available, maybe
TT can provide us with a 'shopping list' of ICs/components  that most
commonly fail, and those of us that are interested could shop around on
the internet and lay in a small supply.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Carter  K8VT

P. S.
The above is based on the assumption that the circuit board will not
physically fail and that resistors and capacitors will be readily
available for a long while, leaving just the ICs to worry about.

Disclaimer: All of the above said without me looking at the schematic.