Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ the best and other great radios

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ the best and other great radios
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 13:21:26 -0800
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 07:55:21 -0600, CSM\(r\) Gary Huber - AB9M
wrote:

>I've always told myself that my TenTec radios had a lower RX noise
>floor than the radio on the other end.

Perhaps, but at most places any of us get to operate, on bands below
10M, 99.9% of the time RX noise in a top line radio (Ten Tec,
Elecraft) is dominated by what comes in on the antenna, NOT by the
electronics. We can easily verify this by noting that the noise
increases when we plug in the antenna.

Almost all ham rigs have decent SENSITIVITY -- that is, they can
hear weak signals. The great virtue of the better ones (Ten Tec,
Elecraft) is 1) their greatly increased ability to provide
SELECTIVITY in the presence of strong signals, and 2) their much
lower phase noise.

73,

Jim K9YC