Re: [TenTec] Omni D (C) / Corsair II receiver info

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni D (C) / Corsair II receiver info
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:52:48 -0600
On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 05:28 -0800, Ivin Flint wrote:
> I'm following some of the thread of the Omni VII discussion and I see the
> Corsair II thrown out there.  I hear often that it has such a great receiver.
>  I own a Omni C and added a  external VFO(thanks to this group)
> I have read the product reviews from the ARRL and am trying to understand how
> the Corsair II receiver is better than the Omni D (C)  By the way I have all
> the filters installed in mine.
>
> I see the features on the Corsair II has passband filter, internal keyer, AGC
> but that is it that I can tell that my rig doesn't have.  Both have the same
> basic receiver if I remember what I read correctly.  So is the passband
> filter what puts it over the top?

Pass band tuning is a handy feature. The better parts are the selectable
RF stage and the mixers. All circuits with the greatest available
dynamic range. The RF stage and first IF stage use transformer feed back
power RF transistors that give low noise and very good strong signal
handling. Likely costly patent rights, and later rigs used a gaggle of
grounded gate JFETs in those locations which work nearly as well.

I think the Omni D uses double gate mosfets for RF and mixer, which
doesn't have a good a strong signal handling compared to the amplifiers
in the Corsair II.

> Just wondering how much better the receiver in a Corsair II is to the Omni C?
>
> Thanks
> Ivin W9ILF

73, Jerry, K0CQ