Re: [TenTec] Electric safety

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>, <geraldj@weather.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Electric safety
From: "DAVID HELLER" <dtx@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 22:17:13 -0500
Damage to the screwdriver isn't a total disaster;  melting the ring in situ
can spoil your day.  Don't wear jewelry while working on anything hot, even
low voltage.  And with HV it's best to follow the orders we had as Navy RT's
back in WW2:  When a transmitter needed attention inside:  1. Disconnect and
lock/tag the disconnect switch.  2.  Check interlocks.  3.  Take the
insulated ground stick and hold onto every possible contact.  4.  repeat (3)
with special attention to anything looking like a condenser (capacitors
hadn't been invented yet.)
Then get to work with thinking and ohmmeter.  And still work as if the power
was still on.

A ham is far above the CB'er who is forbidden inside the case - he should be
able to do many repairs even on more complicated equipment.  Especially with
T-T, where  an in-country phone call gets an engineer or tech who can
practically walk you through any repair that can be done outside of
Tennessee.  But where high-voltage circuits are involved, work them cold,
with lower voltages use well-insulated meter probes.  12 volts isn't
dangerous unless it's given a low-impedance path to ground but above about
100 v can really hurt.  K3TX