Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM-500

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM-500
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 01:51:14 -0400
Yes -- I have also used this headset - but on an Omni VII at a friend's
contest station.  It IS an electret... but I believe it WAS a dynamic mic
in the early going.   Compare it with the Koss SB40 and you will see
it is the same set, but the Koss model is STILL using the dynamic mic
element, whereas the Yamaha folks updated it along the way to
an electret type and various vendors have yet to update the product
data in all cases.

It is a very HOT mic element.   You may need to turn down any hardware
gain to allow the AGC to work its magic in the proper ranges.

Earphones work swell for the purpose.

In contrast, at my home station, I typically use a Shure SM-2 headset
for closed earphone use, or a Sennheiser HMD-46-5 headset for open
air earphone use.  Both are more conformable, durable and sound
better (both mic and earphone receivers,)  but YOU CANNOT BEAT
the approx $50 street price of the Yamaha set.   It is a real good value.

The Yamaha set was used by five contestants for 40 hours straight,
and no one said anything negative about the headphones.  We made
over 1200 contacts in that time during the 160 meter SSB contest.

Just MY take.

On 3/21/2010 10:31 PM, Reed Krenn wrote:

> Given the expertise (which I greatly respect) of the individuals weighing in
> here on the reflector, I'm inclined to think the marketeers at Yamaha got it
> wrong
   -- Reed / WW3A