Re: [TenTec] Encoder shaft stability

To: "Phil Chambley Sr." <k4dpk@comcast.net>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Encoder shaft stability
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:00:48 -0500

On 4/14/2010 12:52 PM, Phil Chambley Sr. wrote:
> Hi Jerry...
>
> Yes, I have one of the old NC-100 gearboxes in the attic, and it would
> be great if there was enough room. :) They had a great feel.
>
> The extra bushing out front would be ideal. Do you recall whether the
> encoder shaft will accomodate it and still have length for the knob?
> I'll have to pull the cover off one of mine and see.

I presume that the encoder shaft is more than a half inch long, like
3/4" but I don't have that radio and haven't had the knob off my radios
that do have encoders but Yaesu encoders don't necessarily match TenTec
and I don't notice instability of knob rotations. All the bearings I
suggested are 1/4" long.

> BTW, I used the term "wobble" in my earlier post, and that was a poor
> choice of words. The knob does also appear to wobble, but that is
> another issue that can be helped by re-positioning the skirt.
>
> Phil C. Sr.
> k4dpk

73, Jerry, K0CQ