Re: [TenTec] Orion2 Firmware Update

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion2 Firmware Update
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 13:09:01 -0500
This same fundamental limitation is shared by the K3 as well. Thanks
to the modular nature of the Orion and Orion II, why can't the
processor boards be upgraded? If we need a few GB of memory to
satisfy a need, or a faster processor, or an upgraded, dedicated
signal processing unit, wouldn't TT be able to market such a thing?

As you point out, FLEX has already done exactly what your describe,
without all the hassle and expense of having knobs, switches,
encoders and displays.  What incentive  would induce TT to abandon a
lot of their radio to make it a FLEX-system compatible box?

One of the attractive things about radios with self-contained
displays and signal processing is that I don't need to carry around a
PC for them to work, yet still I enjoy many of he advantages of DSP.
Is it as good as, say, a massively parallel, real-time dedicated DSP
system? No, of course not! But the up side is that I don't have to
carry such a thing with me wherever and whenever I want to operate.

Kim Elmore, N5OP