Re: [TenTec] Orion2 Firmware Update

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion2 Firmware Update
From: Rsoifer@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:40:17 EDT
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

FYI, the bank I referred to, which has long since disappeared through
merger, had about 20,000 employees.  About half of those were overseas, in  one
of the 50 or so countries in which we had offices.  I don't know how  many
of the 20,000 worked in IT, but would guess at least 2-3,000.  Even  that
many wasn't enough to keep up with growing needs, as I and my management
colleagues in the user departments knew only too well.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that T-T has resources of that  magnitude.
 It is, however, a larger company than Elecraft, and look at  what Elecraft
has done.  Now that John Henry is back at T-T, I'm hoping  that he will be
able to help them regain a competitive position in the  high-performance
radio market.  The O II, after all, is T-T's flagship  radio product, and a lot
of the company's reputation rides on it.

73 Ray W2RS

In a message dated 4/15/2010 7:15:46 P.M. GMT Standard Time,
geoffreymendelson@gmail.com writes:

On  Apr 15, 2010, at 6:14 PM, Rsoifer@aol.com wrote:

> The  possible saving grace in the O II situation might be that we are
>  "only" dealing with 10K lines of code, rather than millions in the
> banking
> situation.  Rather than trying to fix the  existing firmware, might
> it  make more
> sense just  to treat the O II as an  empty hardware platform, and
> write an
> altogether new system?

I think that you would  find there are a lot more lines of code in the
O2 firmware, and each  one does a lot more than whatever was used in
your banking  situation. Your bank probably had hundreds of programers
to  maintain, test and develop code, Ten Tec at best had (has) a  handful.

In the 1990's when I was a computer consultant, I had one bank  that
had a single programmer on staff. They bought a banking package  that
was complete, and cost more per year than a house. Obviously  the
company that provided it had many programmers, testers,  etc.

The reality of the situation is that at $4000 or so the the O2  is
cheap. If it were sold as commerical or military equipment, it  would
cost $10k-$20k  and if it ended up in the ISS probably  close to $100k.

If it were sold by CISCO or another similar company,  you would get
annual firmware updates, but you would be paying $1k  yearly support
contract. No contract, no firmware. If Ten Tec did  something to make
sure firmware for my radio did not load on yours  so that I could not
"gift" you mine, because you don't have a  contract, it would be a
normal practice in the computer  business.

Companies that gave away free software updates to their  commerical
routers, such as Baycomm, have long since disapeared. A  calculation by
the WSJ of thieir stock price in their last year of  business was that
if you bought $1,000 of Bud in cans or $1,000 of  Baycomm stock, in a
year the deposit on the cans was worth more than  the stock.

I buy routers from a company called EDIMAX. They are $50-$75  each, and
come with lifetime free sofware updates. In reality, they  issue two or
three of them in the "lifetime" of the product, then  they tell you to
buy a new model. The same with another cheap  company TP-Link, whose
routers are now $30, but the last update on  theirs was 2 years ago,
athough that model is still on sale. If you  want current updates, you
have to buy a $75 model.

Linksys  (which is really CISCO) and D-Link have similar polices. Two
or  three updates and goodbye.

Sun used to give away software patches  and small user licenses for
their operating system. They kept  loosing money, and were bought out
by Oracle, who now requires  service contracts and limits free licenses
to 90 days. Sun was about  to file bankruptcy, probably by the end of
the year, Oracle is not  in any such danger.

Sure you could get better software support, but be  prepared to pay for
it. As for re-writing the code, forget  it.

AFAIK software engineers are cheap in the area Ten-Tec is, as long  as
you don't have to buy someone from silicon valley. A really  top-notch
developer of embeded code could easily demand salaries of  $300k-$500k
depending upon the job, the company and the options,  even in this
economy.

At the height of "the bubble" the  average income of a programmer in
Seattle was $400k including  bonuses and stock options. It's probably
now half that, but that was  all programmers at all levels, not the top
end of the embedded  software guys.

That would mean if you wanted Ten-Tec to hire a program  to work soley
on the O2 issues and $1k of the price of the radio was  software, they
would have to sell 200 to 300 a year just to cover  his salary. Or if
they wanted to do the same by subscriptions, they  would have to sell
that many at that price,
or if you wanted $100  a year subscriptions, 3000. More like 5000 to
cover all  costs.

Just to put it in perspeciive, the average salary of the  programmers
at the bank is probably around $100k, and if they live  in a high cost
of living area, closer to $150k. That means there are  some that make
$60, and some that make $150, aren't you sorry that  when you worked
for that bank, you did not take the free programming  classes they
offered?

73,

Geoff.
--