[TenTec] Century/22 power out

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Century/22 power out
From: "Rob Vaughan" <robvaughan@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:03:50 -0400
Hi All,

Recently took ownership of a Century/22 that I really like but a little bit
disappointed by the "20 watts out" claim.  Mine puts out about 15W on 40m and
30m, but as little as 8W on 80m and 6W on 10m.  It would be nice to have closer
to 20 especially on 80m where noise levels are higher of course.  I put my
ammeter inline with the power supply and can see it only draws 2.5A when the
drive control is full clockwise on 80m whereas I can drive it to 5.5A on 40m
well before full clockwise drive and cause the 979 supply to cut-out (as its
supposed to).

When I spoke to Paul at TenTec he suggested it could be the 80m bandpass filter
(would that show low current though?) or that perhaps the "40m null" adjustment
needed adjusting.  He said that can impact output on 80m.  I should have asked
him what it does because I don't understand this adjustment.  Perhaps someone
out there can explain it to me.  Don't want to go adjusting something before I
know what the impact/pitfalls are.

Thanks for all the help and 73,

Rob - VE3XGB