Re: [TenTec] New TT website

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New TT website
From: Michael Goins <wmgoins@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 08:44:07 -0500
I love mine, Paul, and it's the pre-TenTec Chinese version. I also use
the PFR-3 and while I like both, the HB-1A feels more like "radio" to
me, if that makes any sense. The PFR-3 tunes with up/down switches
(not really a big deal) but it is a brick - literally. Super solid but
you could put two of the HB-1As on top of it sideways (well, not
quite, but nearly). as it is that much smaller. Needs a tuner or
resonant antenna (Looking for a ZM-2 here).

And, I didn't say it before, but I seriously doubt TenTec would have
taken the rig and put their name on it if it was not okay
quality-wise. Made me feel better about my non-TenTec as I was a
little hesitant about it being Chinese. Does the three bands, receives
SSB, has good filters (for a small portable rig), puts out 5 watts
with 12v and 3 with 9, is small, and has a keyer built into it. The
only negative comments are about the receive audio being a little low
(mine is not but it's a factor of impedance match with phones/buds). I
put an iPod plug-mounted battery-powered speaker on this one and the
audio is really loud. And it gives me another place to rob of
batteries should I need them in the field. Only thing to look out for
is that there are some HB-1s (not the A revision) out there and some
kit-builts.

Best of all, I paid $160 for my HB-1A as new. They are anywhere from
about that to $200 and most are never portable and like most qrp rigs,
they haven't been used a lot. Pretty good value to me. I think it's a
keeper here.

And there is a yahoo group.

Michael Goins, k5wmg
Professor, Writing
University of Texas at San Antonio
Northwest Vista College

Mike
Pipe Creek, Texas
Fast cars, slow boats, big dogs, little yellow radios, and summers off to write

Michael Goins, Editor/Publisher
Natural Awakenings-San Antonio/Hill Country magazine. Currently
distributed throughout Bexar, Kendall, Comal, Bandera, Kerr and
Gillespie counties - with 20,000 magazines in 450+ locations and a
online edition that gets emailed across the globe every month!

As of May, 2010, there are now 73 Natural Awakenings, printing
1,212,610 magazines monthly that are distributed at 37,924 locations.
We are read nationwide by 3,031,525 people.