Re: [TenTec] wither CW

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] wither CW
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 09:40:44 -0700
On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:57:56 -0500, Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP wrote:

>Start with a straight key.

A straight key SHOULD be cheap, but guys selling them will charge you
collectors money for it.

>All cw ops should be able to send with a straight key.
>That way, even in an emergency, you can tap a couple of wires together,
etc.

Maybe.

>Skip the semi automatic bug.  It will only delay you from becoming a good
>operator with the electronic keyer.

Agreed.

>Next, choose your paddle.

Up to now, Ive always used a B flat Bencher ***. The going price for a
used one is around $75, but the absolute cheapest way to buy it is by
buying the cheap MFJ keyer that comes attached to a Bencher. Its the same
Bencher, but because MFJ is mighty fine junk, youll get the keyer plus
the paddle for $50. Then you throw the keyer away, because it is MFJ, and
wire the paddle to plug into your rig. :)

Learn to send with it in whatever keyer and keyer mode you like and stick
with it. I learned way before there was squeeze keying, and 40 years
later, my 68 year old brain and fingers cant get into iambic. YMMV.

Ive never played with a Ten Tec paddle or keyer, but it should be
remembered that Al Kahn, K4FW, the founder of Ten Tec, was a REAL CW op (I
worked him once while I was mobile), so Id bet theyre OK.

*** B flat is musician talk for plain vanilla -- its the simple key that
everyone knows.

73,

Jim K9YC