Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 Firmware 2.043B Released

To: Steven Kline <skline4@verizon.net>, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 Firmware 2.043B Released
From: Harry G McGavran Jr <w5pny@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 19:19:44 -0600
With 2.043B, I get the popping on the sidetone starting with the
sidetone through the speakers and the level above 30. If I move the
level up to 40 the popping is turning into distortion, and by
50 or more the sidetone is just junk.  This is the case whether
or not the NR is on or off.  Since I rarely need NR, this is
a real pain since the sidetone at 30 is too soft for me.
I notice some of the same distortion on all audio with 2.043B
whether NR is on or off, but it's not highly objectionable
at the levels I usually run it EXCEPT for the sidetone.
I didn't try turning the audio way way up to see if it
happens to non sidetone audio as well, but the occasionally
popping is there even when conditions are very quiet.
Having to run the NR all the time when conditions are very
quiet as they usually are here is just plain broken to me.
But, I could live with it painfully, if the sidetone weren't
so broken.

I've since gone back to 2.039d, but in talking with others
about this problem, they claim that it's ok through the headphones,
but I almost never use headphones and prefer the speaker.

  Harry, W5PNY

--

Harry G. McGavran, Jr.

E-mail: w5pny@arrl.net