[TenTec] RTTY/PSK and the 707 Mike

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] RTTY/PSK and the 707 Mike
From: Rsoifer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 09:43:35 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

This isn't a bug in the hardware or firmware, more like a bug in the
operator (me) that brings up a need for very clear instructions.

Last night I put my Orion II on RTTY for the first time since installing
the 707 mike.  I operate RTTY using MixW and AFSK through a Navigator
interface, with the rig's VOX turned OFF.  Despite this,  when transmitting
RTTY,
the 707 mike is LIVE.  To fix this, TX  Audio Source in the SSB menu must be
set to AUX, not BOTH as I had it set with  the 706 mike which is off unless
VOX is turned on or the PTT button is  depressed.  The same is true when
operating PSK.  To operate SSB,  TX Audio Source should be set to MIC.

The instruction sheet that comes with the 707 does say that the mike is
always live, but IMHO it should also warn against using the BOTH setting when
operating digi modes.

73 Ray W2RS