[TenTec] S-meter reading lower in 6k/2600 than 2.5k/2500

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] S-meter reading lower in 6k/2600 than 2.5k/2500
From: Jay Lyle <jaylyle@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 12:41:57 -0500
This seems strange to me:

1) Right now, noise level with 6k/2600 is 3-4 s-units
2) If I go down a notch to 2.5k/2500 noise GOES UP to 4-5

Is this observation is consistent across all bands (blankers/notch and such are
off).

You'd think it would GO DOWN with a narrower filter combo.

Going down to narrower settings, I get the expected results.

2.5k/600 shows 4 s units
500/500 GOES DOWN to 2

I believe radios will have different gain settings depending on different
filters to make up for the insertion loss.

Anyone else see this effect?

73!

Jay