[TenTec] Argosy 525

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Argosy 525
From: Shawn Upton <kb1ckt@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 11:52:50 -0700 (PDT)
Speaking of the Argosy 525 analog version, I have a question.  I bought one a
decade ago, and made a few contacts on it, but made the mistake of doing the
upgrades (mixer diodes I think, certainly the diode switches, and some
filtering in the audio section).  Afterwards it seemed drifty, power would drop
off at band edges, and worse, the front end seemed to not handle signals like
my Yaesu FT-840.  Most likely all my fault and not necessarily due to the mods
(but it gives you the background).

So, my question is, can the 525 handle the big(ger) signals too, or does it
need extensive rework to do so?  I'm not a contester, but static crashes and
nearby signals are commonplace on 80/40.  I'm just wondering what can be
expected if I go through the rig and restore to stock or redo the mods a second
time (maybe I got the wrong diodes).

Shawn Upton, KB1CKT