Re: [TenTec] [Fwd: Line Isolator Balun (sorta) question.]

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Fwd: Line Isolator Balun (sorta) question.]
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 21:50:42 -0400
I TRULY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELPFUL COMMENTARY POSTED IN
REPLY TO MY QUESTION.

Reflecting on all this, it now seems ironic the Aug. 2010 QST magazine
article recommending ferrite beads as an ersatz isolation transformer
cites K9YC -
Jim Brown's  white paper,   "A Ham's Guide to RFI, Ferrites, Baluns, and
Audio Interfacing,"   as a major research source.

Having read the QST piece one might think a choke made with ferrite
beads was essentially de riggeure...  quite a contrast from the
conclusion one might reach reading Jim's white paper.  Considering that,
and all the near consensus demonstrated herein,  one would wonder what
all the fuss is about.

This ham radio thing is truly an enigma...  so many differing views,
based on what is purported to be "science."   The hardest thing I do as
a relatively new ham is determine which is fact and which is fiction.

Thanks again for all the input.  Good thread.