Re: [TenTec] OT: automotive lightning hit

To: tentec@contesting.com, wb5jnc@centurytel.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: automotive lightning hit
From: Shawn Upton <kb1ckt@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 17:01:05 -0700 (PDT)
Engines can cost a few grand, more if imported.  Many of the sensors are
"isolated" by whatever control unit they talk to--they do not always get power
directly from the battery.  It's possible that if the control units have no
damage, then the sensors might be fine.  If not, well, it's just another CEL to
fix.

I'd have to wonder: if the insurance company doesn't buy outright, it's
probably cheaper to just keep and fix whatever issues come up.  Would you ever
buy a car that you knew was hit by lightening?  I probably wouldn't--even if it
was deeply discounted.

Shawn Upton, KB1CKT