Re: [TenTec] swr

To: george fritkin <georgefritkin@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] swr
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:38:36 -0500
A box possibly built to have much lower losses and far better
survivability than the $400 auto tuner since the box is made
specifically for that antenna. Changing the losses from 90% or more in
the abused tuner at the extreme of its tuning capability to maybe 10% in
the specialized box. Its a practical solution costing a great deal more
than buying or winding a coil and box and assembling something. Its one
way to get a signal on multiple bands in the modern postage stamp
estate. I should have included a ;<) on that post to show it was tongue
in cheek. I probably won't do it, I've had my fling with single
nonresonant verticals about 50 years ago. I might go with a trap
vertical on the middle of my machine shed roof giving it a solid metal
ground plane about 50 feet on a side, that should work well. Last time I
tossed one up on a corn bin it did work very well for FD with a smaller
ground plane.

The 43' radiator is a good 60 through 20 meter radiator, with low
radiation efficiency below that, but better than no antenna at all, and
with high radiation angles above that range, again marginally better
than no antenna at all. The price of the commercially made radiator with
tuner is obscene compared to the price of a vintage trap vertical that
needs little tuning and is a working quarter wave with a low radiation
angle on all its bands and takes up only a little more space (3"
diameter vs 1-1/4" diameter). The 43' radiator a scheme that will soon
pass as its found to work so poorly compared to any other antenna at the
ends of its frequency range.