Re: [TenTec] Original Orion Firmware

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Original Orion Firmware
From: "Wes Attaway \(N5WA\)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:06:25 -0500
I have been using v2.062a. It isn't perfect, but works well enough for me so
that I haven't bothered to go back to any earlier version.

What would I like in a new firmware version?

1. Improved NR operation
2. Improved band stacking register performance (per Sinisa's comments re
"preserving full filter state")
3. Numerous issues with sub-receiver, as mentioned by several people.

One odd problem I have occasionally had is that when switching to "split"
mode the sub-rx simply doesn't work.  I hear band noise but no signals even
though I can tune up and down the band.  Switching the radio off and then
back on cures the problem.  I have not done any trouble-shooting to see if
the problem is related to certain other control settings because I don't
encounter it very often.  Compared to other sub-rx problems, this one is
minor.

Despite all comments I consider the Orion to be a great radio.  I can hear
and work stations that I would have never heard with prior radios.  A "used"
Orion continues to be one of the greatest bargains in ham radio.