Re: [TenTec] New to TT and the list

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New to TT and the list
From: d.e.warnick@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 11:22:04 +0000 (UTC)

Chris,

A TT power supply is definitely the best option for protection of your rig. It
sounds as if you are doing the right thing by tuning at low power. I've had
about a dozen Omni D;s (there's one on my bench right now) and they have a very
robust set of finals. As long as you are tuning at low power, you should ber
OK, but a TT supply should be in your future.

As for the power switch,

It does not switch the DC power to the rig. Therefore, unless you have wired in
a relay or something to control your DC power, it should have no effect on your
rig. That is, not only the pilot lights, but the entire rig should stay on when
it is switched to off (pulled out). If you look at the power connector, it has
4 leads. Two of those leads just carry DC to the Omni D. The other two (the
white ones in the middle) are connected to the power switch to turn the DC
power supply on and off. The switch is for this low current primary (AC)
switching and will not handle the higher current DC that powers the Omni. It is
not uncommon for this switch to have gone south, often due to cockpit error in
trying to wire it to carry the DC.

Omni D was my first TT rig and is what sold me on the company. You'll love it,
and the Omni VI Opt 3 is a dream rig. Your Omni C is pretty much an Omni D with
WARC added

Yes, this reflector is the best. Just keep your delete key ready if we go on a
tangent and you aren't interrested. That, or read anyway and learn something
(there's always a bit of info there)

73

Dave

WA3F