Re: [TenTec] Looking for "cheap" rig or honest and patient ham

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Looking for "cheap" rig or honest and patient ham
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 11:04:07 -0500
Why limit your advice to Ten Tecs and JA plastic radios?   If the guy
wants to operate CW there is a rich array of vintage rigs to choose
from that also offer the chance to do some restoration, thereby
learning about radio and avoiding being another appliance operator.

He could get a DX35 or DX 60 --they are not very expensive -- a real
class C cw rig with up to 90 watts from the 6146.  Lots of VFO
options.  get a cheap xtal calibrator and an old rx like a NC-303.
QSK with separate tx and rx antennas, or build a simple TR relay.   I
would find such a setup way way more fun than some TS-something or
other which to me would be boring.  I have all the modern gear and it
is about as interesting as operating a DVD player.
He could build up a low power L network tuner.  Once he works someone
he'll have something to talk about hi hi.

73

Rob
K5UJ