Re: [TenTec] Century 21 Analog Question...

To: geraldj@weather.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Century 21 Analog Question...
From: geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 18:55:49 +0200
On Oct 7, 2010, at 6:41 PM, Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:

> You might have to listen to the station on the hour and half hour to
> catch a station ID and maybe frequency. If they don't announce the
> frequency the FCC data base of call signs should give it. Then you
> might
> be able to connect a coil and capacitor as a trap at the antenna
> connection to minimize that station.

My bet is that it is an AM broadcast station. When I lived in Philly I
bought an HW-7 to use to take to the "swim club" and while I was out
relaxing in the sun, listen to the radio. The club was close to
transmitters of several high power AM stations, and all I ever could
get on it was Rush Limbaugh (all over the dial).

I lived about the same distance from the towers in the other direction
and did not have much luck with it at home. I ended up so disgusted
with it, I gave it to a ham who was going to "fix" it. I replaced it
with an Argo 509.

An easy test if it is a twinlead or open lead fed dipole is to connect
a Radio Shack (or similar) TV balun between the twinlead and the
radio. They have a trap (usually a capacitor across one of the coils)
to filter out anything below 5 mHz.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must