Re: [TenTec] Proset Quiet Phone vs TenTec 777 with the Orion I

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Proset Quiet Phone vs TenTec 777 with the Orion I
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 01:26:47 -0400
Get a small $50-$80 mic preamp and insert the audio into the Line-in
input on the rig.   Way more control I think and you have better
amping than the preamp that is built into the rig.

You will get way more control over the input volume and it is cleaner
(presuming, as I do, that the outboard preamp is cleaner than a small
preamp built into the rig motherboard - just as it is cleaner than it
is on most- even decent - computer sound cards.)

Just MY take...   there is room for disagreement on these matters,
but that is what I do for both radio and speech recognition use
on computers.

You may email me directly for photos and information on how I do this.

Sorry I cannot compare the two headsets you inquire of, but the 777 was
a decent set, although I sold mine to another guy on the list and
continue to use sets by AudioTechnica,  Sennheiser, and Shure.   The 777
was not exactly the best a hi-fi set of earphones, but they are plenty
darned good for ham radio and the mic was OK also.  They are plenty
efficient driven straight from my Omni VII, and I presume they would be
good on a Orion II as well.   I can send you comparison sound clips of
the microphone compared to other microphones, if you get curious to make
a comparison for yourself.  Even though I sold mine, the TT 777 was a
worthy set for a high quality station, and should play loudly enough on
your rig.  (extrapolating, of course, from my use on the Omni VII.)

Just MY take... of course.

On 10/12/2010 11:26 PM, AL7CR wrote:

My only complaint is that I can not get adequate volume with this
setup even at max audio gain on the Orion.  Does anyone else have
experience with this combination and perhaps a fix?

> curious as to comparisons between the Heil Headset and the new
TenTec 777 particularly regarding the efficiency of the speakers.