Re: [TenTec] installing ladder line

To: <vinsantis@sbcglobal.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] installing ladder line
From: "JAMES HANLON" <knjhanlon@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 23:06:53 -0700
Vince,

I currently have a 600 ohm line bent about 90 degrees.  It comes from my 268
foot center fed Zepp, crosses my roof, goes over an aluminum rain gutter and
then down the side of the house to the shack.  As others have recommended, I
space it several times the wire spacing away from the gutter at the bend
point.  It works just fine.  I also have some 300 ohm open wire line feeding
a 32 foot vertical doublet that goes through the same kind of bend, and it
works well too.  I bring my open wire line into the house through a dryer
vent pipe.  I use 300 ohm ribbon inside the pipe itself, and I space it from
the edges of the pipe with fiber glass "wool" packing.  I connect either the
600 ohm line or the 300 ohm line to this 300 ohm ribbon, and I connect the
other end of the ribbon to my "antenna tuner," a home brew, parallel tuned
circuit job.  I run as much as 600 watts out of a Heath SB-200 amplifier to
it with no problems.

Go for it!

Jim, W8KGI