Re: [TenTec] 4229 Tuner Balun Replacement?

To: Scott Walker <richardscottw@gmail.com>, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 4229 Tuner Balun Replacement?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 12:10:58 -0800
On 11/14/2010 10:33 AM, Scott Walker wrote:
>   I guess to answer my own question I need to
> contact Tentec and ask them what mix they used in those toroids.  Do
> you think they will know the answer to that question?

I would start with a very practical test.  Take the cover off and
transmit high power through the existing balun for a while. Stop
transmitting and feel the balun to see if it is hot. If it is not, you
don't have a problem. If it is hot, then think about solving it.

Ten Tec has always had pretty good engineers. I find limited value in
trying to improve on their work.  The only thing I've had to do with my
229s and 238s is to replace a few of the fixed caps that can overheat
with high power operation (1.5kW) and certain extremes of antenna
impedance.

73, Jim K9YC