Re: [TenTec] 4229 Tuner Balun Replacement?

To: k9yc@arrl.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 4229 Tuner Balun Replacement?
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 20:49:36 -0500
Apropos our previous discussion of "choke baluns"...

I believe the locution "choke balun" is often used to refer to various
forms of chokes - sometimes made of ferrite beads and sometimes made of
round ferrite toroids.  I presume you are talking about the more
traditional and more robust "balun" (transformer) designs which employ
large, round ferrite toroids - and not the so called  "choke baluns"
comprised of a series of ferrite beads along a stretch of coax.

Yes ?  As I recall, the consensus was decidedly in favor of the one type
over the other in terms of overall utility.

A common mode choke AT THE FEEDPOINT can