Re: [TenTec] 4229 Tuner Balun Replacement?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 4229 Tuner Balun Replacement?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 13:11:42 -0600
Its really difficult to have a wire antenna that is truly balanced. One
end nearly always has a different exposure to dielectric and grounded
objects than the other leading to differing capacitance to ground at the
high impedance open end of the doublet. Then even if the doublet is
decently balanced its often difficult to run the feedline exactly
perpendicular to the doublet, so there are antenna currents coupled to
the feedline. So the feedline currents are often inherently unbalanced.

Its not enough to measure current amplitudes to determine balance, its
necessary to measure current phase and have equal currents exactly out
of phase to eliminate feedline radiation. One way to find that condition
is to use an inductively coupled ammeter and to run both feedline
conductors through it to measure the unbalance current. The success of
that depends on the shielding of the inductive coupler from capacitive
voltages of the lines. E.g. measure the vector sum of the two currents,
when equal AND out of phase that sum will be zero. And that the
inductive coupling is not dependent on the relative positions of the
conductors and the inductive coupler.

Current baluns don't force balance, they accept all loads from balanced
to completely unbalanced by inserting a large common mode impedance.
They won't make an inherently unbalanced antenna with feed line not
perpendicular to radiate best broadside (on the fundamental resonance)
and they might not prevent feedline radiation and reception. Neither
will a voltage balun. There will be capacitance to earth from the
feedline near the balun to still carry unbalanced current.

73, Jerry, K0CQ