Re: [TenTec] Stealth Antennas and restricted QTHs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Stealth Antennas and restricted QTHs
From: Ray Sills <raysills@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 21:17:27 -0500
Hi Clayton:

Thanks for your comments.  Fortunately, I have been able to operate,
thanks to a Buddipole at my QTH in Savannah, GA.  I also have a home
in Warrington, PA, and at that place, I have been using an AlexLoop
mag loop antenna... mostly on 40 meters.  Down in GA, there are a lot
of military facilities nearby, so getting permission to have a
"flagpole" might be possible.  The HOA there routinely grants
permission for residents to put satellite TV dishes either on the
roof of a unit, or on a post in the common area.  So, it might be
possible to get official permission for a modest ham antenna.  The
big deal there is to have the antenna -not- seen from the street.  If
I can do that, I'm sure they'll OK it.

The PA HOA is much more strict.  There are only one or two people
with dishes, and I suspect that's because the FCC requiring
accommodation for 1 meter or less TV receiving dishes.  But, the
building at the PA QTH is a 3-story unit, so -maybe- feeding the
downspout (it's on the corner of my unit, but the bedroom) is a real
possibility.  Haven't tried it yet!

I know some hams are critical of that group of us who -willingly- buy
a home with HOA restrictions, and/or CC&Rs.  But, sometimes, you have
to compromise.. for your own interests, the XYL's interests, and the
home you would like to live in... based on it's amenities and location.

Bottom line: where there's a will, there's a way!

73 de Ray
K2ULR