Re: [TenTec] OT: Indoor Antenna

To: geraldj@weather.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Indoor Antenna
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 21:01:37 -1000
A quarter wavelength monopole with a really good counterpoise/ ground
radial system has a feed point radiation resistance of around 37 ohms
and very little loss resistance. That will give you an SWR of about
1.4:1. If you use just a ground rod and have about 13 ohms of resistive
loss in the ground system, the series equivalent feed point impedance
will be about 50 ohms, and the SWR will be very near 1:1. Some people
think this is better. It does "tend to make the matching easier."

I don't know what kind of ground you have, or whether your ground system
resistance would be 13 ohms with just a ground rod. The point I am
trying to make is that a really efficient vertical is likely to have a
higher SWR than a partially radiating dummy load. Many hams do choose a
lower SWR over a more efficient radiator.