Re: [TenTec] Rhombics

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Rhombics
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 18:31:47 -0600
I disagree.
It depends on how on how you define "efficient".
I learned a long time ago that a radio can be too sensitive.
Ten-Tec has been building radios with less sensitivity on the low bands than
on the high bands for a long time.
Sensitivity is overvalued.

What matters is signal to noise difference.

On my 65' vertical, often on 80 and nearly always on 160, the noise is
louder than the signal.
I haven't done it at this QTH but I have done it at half a dozen contest
QTH's where we had Beverages.
Switch to the Beverage and suddenly the DX station is a few S-Units louder
than the noise.
So if we define efficiency as the ability to distinguish useful signal from
noise, then the Beverage is very efficient.
The vertical is very inefficient.

After all, we're in this game to work stations, not to measure their
ultimate voltage on some instrument.
I contend my definition is more appropriate than S-meter readings!

73
Rick