Re: [TenTec] Eagle Comparison

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle Comparison
From: Thomas <ac7a@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 0:45:56 -0500
I haven't had the opportunity to use many new radios; however, it is hard for
me to imagine another radio offering a much better balance of receiver
performance and ease of use than the Omni VI+. I used my 10 year old Omni VI+
in this weekend's  ARRL 160m contest as I have most of this century. I find it
to be a very comfortable, very capable radio to use.

I believe the 160m CW contests provide a real test of receiver performance
because of the very wide range of signal levels only hundreds, or tens, of
Hertz from each other. It is only a matter of selecting the best filter
combination, pass-band tuning and signal attenuation to separate the signals.
One might question attenuation, but I find that running with the -20dB
attenuate during the 160m contest helps keep the super strong signals from
swamping the very weak signals; dynamic range, AGC, etc, performance. Having
the attenuate turned on seems to  have little effect on my ability to hear the
very weak signal. Often there were situations where a big gun station was only
a few hundred Hertz from a near-noise level station and I was able to set up
the receiver and work the weak one. Even though this can be accomplished with
other transceivers it is easy with the Omni's receiver capabilities.

The only complaints I have with my Omni VI+ is I find the audio derived DSP and
the noise blanker ineffective. Although the DSP seems to work pretty well for
SSB (a mode I seldom use) it has been useless for CW most of the time. The
noise blanker is often ineffective on the kinds of noise I need reduced. What
that boils down to is I just don't use them very often.

Maybe if I actually did have the opportunity to try and become familiar with a
more modern, high performance transceiver I would understand why I should
replace the Omni VI+.  But until I find some feature of the radio that doesn't
meet my needs I'll likely stay with what I have.

My 2-cents worth!

'73, Thomas - AC7A