Re: [TenTec] Eagle Comparison and OT Vintage Rigs

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle Comparison and OT Vintage Rigs
From: kc9cdt@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 23:44:38 -0500 (EST)
I have here in the shack several stations.
1) TT Orion II
2) Drake C line with all the Sherwood mods
3) Collins S line (And KWM-2)

I have done some A,B,C testing...nothing with test equipment just using
my skills and my ears.

When I come into the shack for a little fun casual operation..I usually
use the Collins..love the audio and it just works nice...puts a smile
on my face. I think...wow this stuff really still works great! It's 50
years old!

If I want a little better for crowded conditions or weak DX with folks
near by...I use the Drake C line. It's very capable.

If it is tough conditions and I am in the mood for high tech. I use te
Orion II...lots of neat features and for contesting or crowded
conditions it is the best I have. It's a fun radio to use for sure.
Oh, also...if I'm just in a lazy mood I also use the Orion II.

In all honesty..even in crowded conditions, contest or weak DX the
Drake will perform about as well as the Orion II...I said about as well.
The Orion goes narrower, and the PBT is a little better (The R-4C has
pretty good PBT as well) and all the bells and whistles will give it a
little edge. The AGC options are better on the OII and the NR can help
at times. (on The Drake if you carefully adj. the notch...it does
wanders too)

In all my A,B,C testing (and I don't do it all that much) The Drake
will hear just about everything the OII does.  And just about as well,
occationally better.
For a serious contester these days...the OII is much faster, agile and
has an edge.

After all, If you look at Rob Sherwood's list...The Sherwood modified
R-4C is not that far down the page (Was at the top for  LONG, LONG
time!)!

Of course you actally have to work a little using the tube rigs,
tuning, loading, peaking etc.
Most of the time...I rather enjoy it.

If I didn't have the OII, I would get a Eagle.
(PS..now I am in the process of adding a Hallicrafters SX-115/HT-32B
and SX-117/HT-44 to the mix)

Oh, I just realized ALL of my equipment in US Made!
AND all of it works excellant!

73,
Lee, KC9CDT