Re: [TenTec] Paragon II RS-232 Port

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon II RS-232 Port
From: "Vic Klein" <vhklein@ptd.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 07:47:20 -0500
I had never heard anything like this on my 585 Paragon, and I often use the
RS-232 port for logging or computer control (and it is always connected to
the computer). After reading Carl's post I tried to find noise and was
finally able to hear some computer RFI, but not a scratchy noise. With the
antenna essentially disconnected I could hear some tones between commands
while everything was waiting for input on some frequencies on 10m. While the
radio was being commanded or responding with status it was quiet. With the
RS-232 plug disconnected I could still hear them, but they were extremely
faint or non-existent. Normal band noise has covered these artifacts up
until I searched, and I hear nothing in normal conditions. Could the OP's
trouble be computer-specific? In other words, have you tried another
computer to see if that is causing the excess noise?

=Vic=
WA4THR