Re: [TenTec] Replacment cw filter

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Replacment cw filter
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <Mike_N4NT@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 11:09:11 -0500
Having used several of the "older" Ten-Tec rigs, my feeling is that 98% of
the time I am much happier using an audio filter in the rig than a crystal
filter.  The audio CW filter makes them sound like "real Ten-Tecs" to my
ears.

If you choose to fabricate an audio filter, it is important to put it into
the circuit as the rig is originally designed.  The AGC voltage in the rigs
is generated from audio.  If the filter does not appear before the AGC
sampling point, signals outside the passband can still "pump-up" the AGC
voltage.  This is true of external audio filters, too.

73, Mike N4NT