Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)
From: Rsoifer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 09:20:19 -0500 (EST)
Nate,

My experiences lead me to go even farther.  I have an elevated (10  feet
above ground) Hy--Gain AV-640, which is a 3/8-wave multi-band vertical  with
top hats and four 6-foot counterpoise rods.  My QTH is about two  miles from
our club station, which has a 3-el SteppIR on a 40-foot tower.   I really
needed BS7H (it was the last country on my need list) so for a time  during
the 2007 expedition I went back and forth between the two stations.   The
vertical consistently beat the low beam, by at least an S-unit.  In  contrast,
in the weekly club net on 20 SSB, which is all domestic, the beam wins  by a
comparable margin.  If the beam were higher, I have no doubt that it  would
beat the vertical on long-haul paths, but at its present height, the
vertical's low angle wins.

73 Ray W2RS

In a message dated 1/7/2011 2:03:49 P.M. GMT Standard Time, n4ydu@yahoo.com