Re: [TenTec] ant

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ant
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:05:31 -0500
These are not as good today as their reputation was 40 years ago.
The reason is, we've got more bands to match today, and our transceivers demand
darn near 50 Ohms.

The models were 275w and 1KW.
I had the KW version about 45 years ago.
Bought the small one about 2 years ago and didn't keep it long.
The little MFJ-974B (for under $200) was far superior to the Viking in its
matching range.
Had the two side by side and used them with several different Openwire fed
antennas.

With the mods Jerry did to his Viking, they will match just about anything.

A much better box is the Annecke, which L.B. Cebik compares (very favorably) to
the Johnson in his article about link coupled tuners.
The Annecke had more taps, especially on the TX side, as well as an additional
variable capacitor on the TX side.
It was also available in two versions; 200w and 1KW.

73
Rick