Re: [TenTec] WAS: Omni 6 Logic board failure

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] WAS: Omni 6 Logic board failure
From: NL7VL <neal.laugman@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:24:26 -0600
Ron,

>Well, as a "new" (to me) owner of an Omni VI since last fall, of
>course this is of more than academic interest to me.  I like this
>rig!  I'd hate to see it become nothing more than a paperweight and a
>display item in the shack.

I have not had mine for years and years, either. In fact, I waited a
long time for one reason or another to get one of these. When they
first came out I went through quite a WOW factor experience! Kind of
leaves a bad taste in you mouth, doesn't it?

>But at least Ten-Tec's service people were willing to talk to you.  I
>know quite a few owners of, ah, radios of other (off-shore)
>manufacturers who have questions of a similar nature, and simply get
>told "sorry, can't be fixed" and nothing more.

I think this is a VERY important point that people involved with this
issue need to understand. I doubt that the average ham realizes the
kind of abuse a service department can go through - especially if you
actually give a rat's *ss about your customers. This is not a "kinder,
gentler world" that we live in today.

The use of the term "academic" was not meant to minimize the
situation, but to put things into perspective.  As the famous John von
Neumann quote goes: "There's no sense being exact about something if you
don't even know what you're talking about." (paraphrase?) IOW we
have to know what's wrong in order to formulate a *specific* plan of
attack. But it's good foresight to have some extra ammo no matter
what.

Many of us could kludge a daughter-board arrangement as a fix, but as
Geoff, N3OWJ pointed out, the costs of board development are
prohibitive - even to Ten-Tec.

--
 Neal, NL7VL